Vivek Bangde: The Decade Long Journey With FRDC & Design

While many say that there is usually method in the madness, it’s quite the opposite for Vivek Bangde. One that is orderly and carried forward in a calm and composed way. A warm and welcoming senior member of the studio, Vivek enjoys his work with the new joiners and interns. Although he is keen to learn & explore something new, Vivek has a strong belief in certain old school methodology. Popular for his water colour sketches and an absolute favourite among his team and clients, Vivek’s love for design has evolved over the decade. We chatted with him to find out more about his journey in FRDC & more. 


What are your earliest memories that prompted you to take on a life in design?
Every dawn, my mother used to create rangoli in front of our house. Seeing her create different patterns, using multiple colours and giving a sense of rhythm and harmony to those shapes inspired me to draw. Science related subjects also fascinated me equally. Merger of those elements made me study architecture and pursue a career in design.
Is there any project / milestone that is special to you?
In 2011, I got the opportunity to work on the pilot store for Arttdinox in New Delhi. The brief was to create a space fit for a contemporary and modern Indian. This project gave me a real insight into the process of converting a conceptual idea into reality. I was involved in all aspects of the design process, which helped me understand the real life challenged involved in creating a physical space
What is your Design Philosophy?
Form Follows Function. I believe that every space should be created with the end goal in mind. The space first and foremost should be functional and then focus on being visually appealing. 
What has been the highlight of your career, so far?
My career has had several highlights but the most memorable one is the Arttdinox Cinnamon project in Bangalore. It was one of the most challenging projects, that revolved around creating a store while preserving and conserving a British Colonial heritage structure built in 1893. The brief was to create a contemporary and minimal space that would house the luxury and lifestyle brand - Arttdinox. 
What has been you biggest learning?
Based on the several projects that I have been involved in, I have realised that the overall design process cannot be confined to a solitary approach. Some of the best and most recognised design projects that I have been a part of, has resulted from collaborative work efforts. This includes brainstorming and exchange of ideas through sketches, discussion, and design thinking process. 
What is your advice for aspiring designers based on your experience?
I would advise them to try and sketch simple objects from everyday life. This approach has helped me understand the nuances of product or spatial design and has given me a means to visually communicate creative ideas to my colleagues and clients. 
How would you like to see design practices evolve in India? 
Indian designers need to understand and apply the philosophy of Less is More. Every design project comes with their own set of challenges, but the essence of the project should remain true to the brief.
Are you a morning person or a night owl?
I feel I create and ideate best in the morning. That is when I find myself most active. Mornings allow you the time and space to work on things that are important. I prefer to collaborate and work together with my design team as I feel that is the best time to generate ideas.
What is your favourite book and travel destination?
My favourite book is Ayn Rand’s Fountainhead and my favourite travel destination is Greece.

Comments